Skip to content
Curtin University of Technology
Student Services Department

Changing Your Enrolment

After you have completed your initial enrolment you might have the need to change your enrolment (e.g. withdraw from a unit if you have failed a pre-requisite, and enrol in another). You can do this through eStudent.

If you need to add or withdraw a unit please check the Academic Calendar and Important Dates to make sure you do so within the prescribed time frame.  The deadlines are set to protect you as a student and to comply with government legislation and therefore flexibility is not an option.

Before you amend your enrolment we recommend you consider your choice carefully.  The decision to add or withdraw units not only has an impact on your workload, but also has an impact on other aspects of your enrolment. Here are some important things you will need to know and consider. Contact the Student Services Department if you require further assistance.

Adding a unit or units

You can only add units for a short time after the study period commences.  The dates relevant to your enrolment are listed on the Academic Calendar and Important Dates.
Before you add (enrol in) units:

  • Make sure you are not overloading your study commitments – seek academic counselling from your lecturer/Course Coordinator/Head of Department
  • Make sure you have ample time to catch up on any missed classes and study time

Withdrawing from a unit or units

You may withdraw units from your current study period, without incurring penalties, until the relevant census date.  The dates relevant to unit withdrawal are listed on the Academic Calendar and Important Dates. Enrolment/unit withdrawal (change of enrolment form) is downloadable and also available at the Student Services Office.

Please Note: If the unit you are withdrawing from, is a co-requisite of a unit that you are enrolled in; you will be withdrawn from both units.
You may still withdraw from your unit(s) of study for approximately 1 month after the final date for withdrawal with penalty (i.e. census date). This period is known as the final period for withdrawal from units with penalty (please note that this only applies to Semester 1 or 2 enrolments; for other study periods, you may need to strictly adhere to the Key Dates). Please also refer to the Census Date.

Please be advised that the withdrawal from any unit(s) during this period will be recorded on your academic record as "Withdrawn" (WD) and that you will still be liable for the relevant tuition fees.

If you would like to receive special consideration after the census date for extenuating circumstances beyond your control that have impinged on your ability to fulfil or complete the requirements of your studies you may submit an application for a Withdrawal Under Special Circumstances (WUSC). You are advised to visit the Withdrawal Under Special Circumstances web page to determine if your circumstances and situation are appropriate before submitting an application.
Before you withdraw from unit(s):

  • Check that the unit you are withdrawing from is not a co-requisite of another unit that you wish to remain enrolled in
  • If you are withdrawing for workload reasons make sure you have explored all of your study support alternatives - seek academic counselling from your Course/Unit Coordinator
  • If you are withdrawing from all units and you intend to return at a later date consider a Leave of Absence; if you do not you will lose your place in the course. If you are an international student, the conditions of your visa preclude you from suspending your studies, therefore you should contact the International Office on campus to discuss your options. Withdrawing, or suspending your studies will affect your visa.

Contact Student Services Department to find out more.